Saturday, January 10, 2009

Confessions of a wannabe chef!

A few days ago I told my sister’s boyfriend, Erik, I would make him dinner. Not really knowing what to make I settled on Pasta ala Sookie, which is really just Macaroni and Cheese bake. Usually I make this the old fashioned way with shredded cheddar cheese and milk. I have always wanted to make it with a rue sauce (a white sauce used in baking many different ways). I thought the rue sauce will cut down on the amount of cheese used therefore lowering the fat and also give the pasta a creamy texture as opposed to a stringy cheese texture.

I got all excited and did a mini google search on making a rue sauce. I started to get all the ingredients out, let the butter start melting and got the water on the stove to boil for the noodles. Just as the butter was melting I ran to grab the flour. Rats!! No white flour. I rarely have white flour in the house and it always come back to bite me in the butt. (Note to self: buy white flour.) I was totally bummed. All the stuff was out and ready to go… and I had no idea what else to make. I decided to try it anyway.

I got out the wheat flour. The butter was already melted so I added the flour and stirred constantly for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the rue sauce did not look right… it smelled a little burnt too. I was totally bummed. Erik was on his way over and I started to feel the pressure. I decided to just do it again. I melted the butter and added the flour stirring constantly on even a lower heat.

After 5 minutes the sauce looked… descent but even better it smelled right. I slowly added the milk praying it wouldn’t end up looking like lumpy cream of wheat. IT WORKED! It really worked.

Morale of the story: You CAN make a rue with wheat flour… who knew?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That is so awesome...I had no idea. It tasted just like it always does...you're a genius!

Anonymous said...

So glad you didn't "rue-in" the rue... lol... i'm a dork... but I like your music on here... Etta James rox!